Wednesday, May 25, 2011

The Letter

Write about a time you got in BIG trouble as a kid?  (from Mama Kat's writing workshop)

My memories don't include any moments I got in BIG trouble.  I'm sure I talked back to my mom, fought with my sisters and participated in toilet papering someone's house.  But never anything I considered BIG trouble.  I do remember a time when I felt like I was in BIG trouble even though I had no idea what I did.

We went to a private Christian school and even went to their preschool program which they called K4.   Since it was a private school they had their own conservative rules even a dress code that today would make most people shudder.   I can't recall all the specifics but I definitely know we had to wear dresses that went well past our knees.   It didn't bother me when I was only four years old because I basically wore whatever my mom picked out for me.  One morning my mom gave me a new outfit to wear.  This outfit was kind of cool because they were koolats, shorts that were made to look like a skirt.  Being the tomboy that I was I liked the idea of not really wearing a dress.  I went to school proud of my new outfit.  I felt confident and ready to tackle my preschool letters.  

As I went about my day I could tell the teachers were talking about me.   I knew they loved my new koolats.   There eyes would light up, they would look at me from head to toe and then start whispering to each other as if they didn't want to talk about their favorite student in front of the others.   Maybe I should start wearing some cooler clothes especially if I got this extra attention from the teachers.

One of my teachers slowly made her way over to me.   She reached over with a piece of paper and safety pin in her hand and pinned the paper to me.  Pinned it right to my shirt.  I had no idea what it said or what it was for.  Inside I wanted to cry.  I was embarrassed even thought I didn't know what it felt like to be embarrassed.  I could feel all eyes on me and everyone else questioning what was going on. 

I stayed brave and walked with as much confidence as my little four year old self could muster.  I saw my mom waiting in her car for me.  She opened the door of the car and asked "How was your day?"  In that instant the tears came pouring out and I couldn't stop crying.   I was in BIG trouble for something but I still didn't know what it was.

My mom saw the letter, unpinned it and opened it up to read it.

Dear Mom,

Please do not allow Janelle to wear these shorts to school anymore.  They do not follow our dress code.

Thank you!

I was still crying.  My mom comforted me and reassured me that I was not in trouble and in fact it was her that was in BIG trouble. 

2 comments:

  1. Aw, so sad for you. Didn't your mom know about the dress code?

    Stopping by from writer's workshop. Here's my link if you get a chance to visit:
    http://zemeks.blogspot.com/2011/05/choosing-blog-title-writers-workshop.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, that is horrible feeling to know/think you did something wrong but not know what.

    ReplyDelete