Tuesday, May 3, 2011

A Casual Date

I didn't date much.  It wasn't really my choice.  No one really asked me out.  Ok, it might be a bit of an exaggeration but growing up I felt like I really wasn't that comfortable with dating and boys and all that other stuff.   The few dates that I have been on are memorable mostly because they were few and far between.  With each one I learned lessons about myself but more importantly about some dating etiquette (or rules).

I would like to express my apology to this guy for writing about him and for squandering his date.

In high school I was well known for a few reasons.  I was the younger sister and an older sister.  This status alone instantly gave me "friends" and maybe a few "enemies".   I played sports.  Although I wasn't that great, our teams weren't that great.  In our high school I was an athlete.   Nonetheless people knew me.   I got along with everyone, I think.

After high school and college when I was trying to figure out what to do with my life I "ran" into a guy (I'm not sure if I should call him a boy, man or guy)  from high school.  He was a year older than me (so in my sister's class) and very nice.   I know it took him quite a bit of courage to ask for my phone number and then to give me a call to ask me out.   I really had no interest in this guy and really didn't want to rekindle a friendship or make a new friendship because I felt it would be too awkward.  Since my dating history was pretty sparse I thought that I should try something different and actually go out with someone.

I agreed to join him on a date.  Being the gentleman that he was he left our date a "suprise".  Really, it's a very nice gesture but in hindsight "surprise" dates should be saved for the third or fourth date with someone. 

I asked him all the important details.  What time?  Where do we meet?  How long?  What should I wear?

6:00. My house. Be home around 11:00.  Wear something casual.

My old navy sweatshirt and my jeans with a small hole in the knee was my idea of casual.  I thought we would go to a bowling alley or do something active.  After all I was a high school athlete.  

When I arrived at his house he was dressed in a nice dress shirt and khaki pants.  I looked at myself and said "hmmm, I think I may have underdressed".  Being the genetleman that he was he left to change out of his khakis and into jeans to make me feel a little more comfortable.  (at this point I couldn't drive back to my house to change because we would be late for our date)

We saw Rent at the 5th Avenue Theater among many people dressed in black ties and evening dresses. 

It was a casual date. 

No comments:

Post a Comment