Wednesday, September 28, 2011

A memorable fishing trip

Part of Mama Kat's Writing Workshop


My husbands family has a long tradition of going on a ten day fishing trip at a remote lake in Canada.  The first three years I knew my husband we did not go on this trip.  (The first year we were dating and I had other plans that week.  The 2nd year was the week of our wedding so we canceled.  The third year we had a family illness)  Finally, the fourth year of knowing him was when I made it on this infamous fishing trip.

Now, I haven't done a whole lot of fishing in my lifetime.  In fact until this trip I had only caught one fish and I am still suspicious that my friend caught it for me then handed me the fishing pole.   I was anxious to see if I would have any luck this time.   Even though I don't generally fish I am always ready to "rough it". I can go days without a shower or sleep outside on the ground with only a sleeping bag.  Our acccommodations provided a bed in some run down cabins so it was definitely better than being outside but it was still different than a Hawaiian resort.

My first fishing trip. 

My first pregnancy.

My first experience with morning sickness.

So, I would stay in bed as long as I could since I felt so nauseous.  I ate crackers.  

I would climb in the rowboat with my husband.  He would fish.  I would lay in the boat barely holding on to my pole secretly hoping neither one of us would catch one.  I didn't know how I would react to the smell of fresh fish.  

Fortunately, I could tolerate the smell.     

I survived the week, nauseous, exhausted and desperately wanting to be in the comforts of my own home.   I was most disappointed that I did not get to experience my first "fishing trip" in a normal fashion.  The years after that involved taking care of babies and toddlers which in and of itself is a whole different experience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment