Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Advice to New Mothers

Mama Kat's Writing Workshop

As the mother of three young children I like to think that I know it all.  Unfortunately each day my boys prove that wrong.  I still have a lot to learn and could certainly continue to take advice from other mothers.  However, I have been a new mother and what a crazy, wonderful time of life it was.   And while I have tons of advice I will just leave my top two nuggets of advice for new mothers, because really new mothers are so sleep deprived they can't remember much more.

1.  Enjoy those snuggles.  Never again will you have the time to focus completely on your baby as he snuggles into your shoulder.  It is such a precious time.

2.  Every day gets a little better.  This was the best advice I received.  Every day is just a little better than the day before.  It might be such a small difference that you hardly notice but it is getting better and will keep getting better and finally you will get some sleep.

Congratulations to you, a new mother!

3 comments:

  1. Every day gets a little better until the hit age 2 and then it goes down again. Comes back up around 4 though so that's reassuring! We're approaching 10 now and it looks like we're on a downward spiral. Hoping to get one more upswing before the teen years set in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Number 1 is good advice more generally too--be fully present in the moment and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete